For more than 2,000 years, Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) using herbs has provided help and relief among many communities across Asia. The majority of Chinese herbal medicines have anti-inflammatory properties, but some of these herbs are far more effective than others.
According to Scientific Reports, Chinese herbal medicines that can treat inflammatory conditions are called Qing Re Yao herbs. Roughly translated, Qing Re Yao means “remove heat medicine“. Heat is commonly associated with inflammation-related symptoms.
What Causes Inflammation?
Inflammation happens when the body fights an infection, whether it’s bacterial or viral. It’s how the immune system responds to an invader that attacks the body.
Inflammation may be acute, which means the condition goes away in a few days, or chronic, which means that the condition could last for months or years. Several diseases are tied to inflammation, such as:
- asthma or allergies
- heart disease
- muscular low back pain or body pain
Anti-inflammatory Chinese Herbal Medicines
Below are some of the best Chinese herbal medicines that have anti-inflammatory effects against these conditions, as recommended by the Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine:
1.Scutellaria baicalensis (Huáng Qín) comes from a flowering plant with a powerful root that works against inflammatory diseases. Huáng Qín’s dried roots contain Oroxylin A, a flavonoid that offers an anti-inflammatory cure.
2. Coptis Chinensis (Huáng Lián) is mainly used for treating intestinal infections like ulcers, acute gastroenteritis, or cholera. Its anti-inflammatory effects decrease cytokine secretion that causes inflammation in the body. Huáng Lián may be mixed with Huáng Qín for a more effective result.
3. Flos Lonicerae (Jīn Yín Hūa) is widely used in China to treat fever that comes with inflammation. Its dried flowers have antioxidant, antiviral, antipyretic, and even anti-diabetic properties. This herb helps to suppress mast cells that are activated by substances that cause inflammation, especially for a diabetic patient.
4. Forsythia suspensa (Lián Qiào) is for treating lumps, fever, and inflammation. Its fruit helps alleviate inflammation by reducing antibodies that may trigger an allergic reaction.
5. Isatidis folium (Dà Qīng Yè) is used for the treatment of redness or itchy skin, sore throat, and even influenza. The leaves of this herbal medicine have high anti-inflammatory effects.
According to Dr. Guan, an expert in Chinese herbal medicine in Gainesville, these herbs are usually combined as a formula in a process known as herbology, which is practiced by a trained TCM expert. These are dispensed either as tea, liquid extract, powder, or granule or as a capsule.
If you are considering TCM to treat your inflammatory condition, don’t hesitate to consult Dr. Weiwei Guan, an expert physical therapist, acupuncturist, and TCM practitioner in Gainesville.
Learn more about Chinese herbal medicine in Gainesville
If you are considering TCM treatment or acupuncture in Gainesville, FL, and don’t know where to start or what to expect, our trained and friendly expert at Guan Acupuncture can help ease your anxiety and answer all of your questions.
Talk to our world-class experts in acupuncture and Chinese medicine in Gainesville, FL, to get the best assessment and treatment options for your health needs. For more information, please Contact Us.
The material contained on this site is for informational purposes only and DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE PROVIDING OF MEDICAL ADVICE, and is not intended to be a substitute for independent professional medical judgment, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your health.